A Community in Harmony
BCCO is pleased to announce our soloists for the 2017–18 season.
In BCCO's first Vocal Soloist Competition, these soloists were chosen from dozens of applicants across the country:
Emily Skilling, mezzo-soprano » soloist, Alexander Nevsky
YoonGeong Lee, soprano » soloist, St. Paul Oratorio
Katherine Trimble, mezzo-soprano » soloist, St. Paul Oratorio
Derek Jackenheimer, tenor » soloist, St. Paul Oratorio
André Chiang, baritone » soloist, St. Paul Oratorio
The jury panel included:
- Brian Thorsett — tenor and Assistant Professor at Virginia Tech
- Sylvia Anderson — dramatic soprano and mezzo-soprano, San Francisco Conservatory of Music
- Peter Grunberg — former Head of Music Staff at San Francisco Opera, current Musical Assistant to Michael Tilson Thomas
- BCCO members
- Music Director Ming Luke
Read the soloists bios »
BCCO's January 2018 Concert Series:
• Alexander Nevsky
Prokofiev composed this work originally for Sergei Eisenstein's 1938 film of the same title. In 1939, Prokofiev arranged the music of the film score as the cantata Alexander Nevsky, Op. 78.
• Selections from Romeo and Juliet, Op. 64 (instrumental)
• Selections from All-Night Vigil, Op. 37
An a cappela choral composition that has been praised as Rachmaninoff's finest achievement. Premiered on March 23, 1915, in Moscow, this piece was one of Rachmaninoff's own favorites.
Concerts: Hertz Hall, on the UC Berkeley Campus
January 5 at 8:00 pm
January 6 and 7 at 3:00 pm
Our concerts are free, donations are always welcome.